Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is liteWill?
liteWill is a confidential database where anyone can store their will, living will, durable power-of-attorney and any important document ("Will"). It is actually the only global platform which offers the solution to store your Will online. liteWill thus enables you or your solicitor to consolidate your Wills in a single location, regardless of where your assets are located. It allows you to search for a Will as well as store a new one. As such, if your paper will is not found or has been maliciously destroyed, a soft copy is then available to be shared with authorized persons. The repository aims to assist you (and your loved ones) to quickly and easily identify and locate your Will upon request.
2. Should I store my will online?
You have the option to either just pinpoint the location of your will on a map or to pinpoint the location and store a copy of your will. If your paper will is not found or has been maliciously destroyed, a soft copy can be made available to be shared with authorized persons.
3. How long is my will stored in liteWill?
The records will be kept for 120 years from the date of birth of the testator.
4. What type of information is stored in liteWill?
We keep the following information:
- Details of the person storing the will;
- Date of storage;
- Details of the location where the paper will may be found (optional);
- Electronic copy of the will (optional);
You do not need to send your paper will to us because we do not store hard copies.
5. Does liteWill store the paper will?
liteWill does not store hard copies. They should be retained by yourself or your representative.
6. Is my will valid if I do not store it in liteWill?
The validity of your will does not depend on whether or not you have stored your will somewhere. Storing your will in liteWill helps your person of confidence find your will and reduces the risk that it will be contested.
7. As a couple, do we need to store two separate wills, can we store a joint will?
liteWill only allows individuals to store their will. This is to ensure accuracy of information that is specific to an individual. If you and your partner have a joint will or have separate wills, you will need to store your wills individually.
8. How do I store, or search for, wills in liteWill?
You need to download liteWill App that is available in the Apple and Google Play stores. You may refer to our step-by-step guide for assistance on how to use liteWill App.
9. Can you help me draft a will?
We do not provide legal advice on drafting a will or help you draft a will. You may want to contact a solicitor to get assistance with that. More information on the preparation of a will can also be found in our Blog and under Resources.
10. How do I store, or search for, someone else's will if I am a lawyer/agent acting for them?
If you are a law firm or business entity willing to store, or search for, a will, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. I forgot to print the receipt of my payment. Are you able to help provide a copy of it?
An electronic copy of the invoice will be emailed to you upon completion of the transaction.
12. How do I edit or delete a will?
You can edit or delete your will from liteWill App directly. You may refer to our step-by-step guide for assistance on how to edit or delete your wills.
13. How do I delete all my records?
Please contact us directly at email@example.com. There are no fees involved in the deletion of all your records.
14. Who has access to information stored in liteWill?
Information filed with us is confidential. Only the following people (authorized persons) may have access to certain information, provided that they submit evidence of, as the case may be, their identity, their bona fide interest and the passing away of the testator:
The person who made the will and their solicitor;
The next-of-kin of someone who passed away;
The donee of a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or a deputy appointed by the Court.
15. Why is a search result released only to authorized persons?
liteWill is a confidential database. For this reason, information is only released to authorized persons.
16. Do you accept hardcopy requests?
For security reasons, only online submissions are accepted.
17. How long do I have to wait for a search result?
The result is available within 3 to 5 working days after we receive your request.
18. How is a search result sent to me?
The result is sent to you via secure email once we have verified your supporting documents.